From The Grindhouse Cinema Database
Revision as of 23:32, 31 December 2010 by PopeyePete
Also Known As
- Blutiger Sommer (West Germany)
- Nightmare Vacation (UK)
- Sleepaway Camp - kesäleiri (Finland) (video title)
- ...you won't be coming home!
- Sleepaway Camp has never been so scary!
- A nice place for summer vacation - a perfect place to die!
- A Perfect Place to meet young girls, might just be the perfect place to die!
- "Carrie" meets "Friday the 13th."
- Released in 1983
- Production Co: American Eagle
- Distribution Co: CBS/Fox (UK) | Creswin Distribution (Canada) | United Film Distribution Company (UFDC)
Cast and Crew
- Directed by Robert Hiltzik
- Written by Robert Hiltzik
- Starring Felissa Rose, Jonathan Tiersten, Karen Fields, Christopher Collet, and Mike Kellin
- Produced by Jerry Silva and Michele Tatosian
- Original Music by Edward Bilous
- Cinematography by Benjamin Davis
- Film Editing by Ron Kalish and Sharyn L. Ross
Sleepaway Camp definitely stands out from the other slasher ripoffs for many reasons that will be included in this review. On initial release of the film, the original art work, which can be seen on the Anchor Bay released Sleepaway Camp DVD box set, was recalled because of the Red Cross.
The film starts off with a family having a good time swimming in a lake. Then we see a careless couple, fooling around with each other, driving a speed boat around the lake. Not seeing where they are going the couple accidentally drives into the family swimming, resulting in death for all but Angela.
Now jump to present day. Fourteen year old Angela now lives with her Aunt Martha and cousin Ricky. Aunt Martha is sending Angela and Ricky off to a summer camp called Camp Arawak. When they arrive, most of the girls and boys are picking on Angela because of her shyness, all except for Paul, who is starting to become close friends with Angela. Her cousin, Ricky has to pick up for her. Ricky's aggression towards the other campers for picking on Angela is unnatural at times.
So now the killings begin. People start dropping like flies and are killed in all sorts of creative ways, like being boiled alive, stung to death by bees and even killed by a hair curler! Is it Angela? Is it Ricky? Or could it even be Aunt Martha? Watch the film to see one of the most shocking endings in slasher history!
I'm going to start off by saying the film is worth watching just for the ending alone. The movie becomes slow at times but overall is very entertaining. Most of the kills were written and shot well and work out to be very suspenseful.
Reviewed by Jjp - 9/18/07