From The Grindhouse Cinema Database
- Released in 1980 | Colour
- Running time: 95 minutes
- Directed by Simon Wincer
- Written by Everett De Roche
- Starring Robert Powell, David Hemmings, Carmen Duncan, Broderick Crawford, Gus Mercurio
- Music by Brian May
- Cinematography by Gary Hansen
- Produced by Antony I. Ginnane
- He'll take you to the brink of reality
- Frightening, fascinating, evil or good?
- Can anyone survive?
Harlequin, also known as Dark Forces in United States, is a 1980 Australian thriller film directed by Simon Wincer and starring Robert Powell, Carmen Duncan, David Hemmings and Broderick Crawford. The film is a modern-day version of Rasputin's story: the major characters have the same first names as Rasputin and the Romanov royal family; and their family name, 'Rast', is simply the word 'Tsar' backwards. An up-and-coming senator, Nick Rast, has a young son who is terminally ill with leukaemia. A mysterious faith healer, Gregory Wolfe, appears and seems to cure the boy. Rast's wife Sandy falls in love with Wolfe, but the powerful interests behind Rast's career, represented by geriatric monster Doc Wheelan are less happy with events. (Wikipedia)