Thou Shalt Not Kill...Except/Fun Facts
From The Grindhouse Cinema Database
- The movie was mostly shot in the garage and on the lawn of the house where director Josh Becker's long-time friend Bruce Campbell grew up.
- Bruce Campbell was unable to reprise his role as Sgt. Stryker, from the original short film, because he had become a member of the Screen Actors Guild (SAG), which prohibits actors from starring in non-SAG productions.
- Prior to filming, a 48-minute 8mm short version of the film was made to show to potential investors. It starred Bruce Campbell as Stryker. Sam Raimi was also in the short, as the cult leader, the role he reprised in the actual film.
- Distributor Irvin Shapiro decided to change the title from Stryker's War to Thou Shalt Not Kill...Except to help sell the film to oversea markets.
- The first draft of the script was co-written with Sheldon Lettich and was more darker and dramatic in tone. Director Josh Becker disliked the seriousness of that draft and rewrote the screenplay with Scott Spiegel.
- The film screened at the Harris Theater on the famed 42nd Street on a double bill with BLOOD DINER.