Shock and Gore: The Films of Herschell Gordon Lewis (BluRay/DVD)
From The Grindhouse Cinema Database
In 1963, director Herschell Gordon Lewis pulled a cow’s tongue out of an actress’ mouth on camera, and in doing so, changed the landscape of horror cinema forever. That sequence was just one of numerous gruesome gags featured in Blood Feast, the film credited as being the world’s first gore movie. It’s no exaggeration to say that the modern gross-out movies of today owe their very existence to the pioneering efforts of H.G. Lewis.
But whilst Lewis is most widely celebrated for his blood-and-guts epics (Two Thousand Maniacs!, The Wizard of Gore et al.), there’s more to the prolific director than mere splatter. The filmography of H.G. Lewis reads like a veritable wish-list of exploitation movie madness: tales of sordid photographers (Scum of the Earth), sex robots (How to Make a Doll), biker girl-gangs (She-Devils on Wheels), youths-run-amok (Just for the Hell of It), psychic witches (Something Weird) and hard liquor-loving hillbillies (Moonshine Mountain).
Now, for the first time ever, Arrow Video is proud to present fourteen of the Godfather of Gore’s most essential films (including nine Blu-ray world debuts), collected together at last and packed full of eye-popping bonus content. So put your feet up, pour yourself a glass of good ol’ moonshine, and prepare yourself for a feast – H.G. Lewis style!
Limited to 500 copies.
LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
• Fourteen of the Godfather of Gore’s finest attractions, newly restored from original and best surviving vault materials • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of the features and extras on 7 Blu-ray and 7 DVD discs • Additional 2 bonus Blu-rays featuring 1.33:1 versions of Blood Feast, Scum of the Earth, Color Me Blood Red, A Taste of Blood and The Wizard of Gore • Additional bonus DVD: Herschell Gordon Lewis: The Godfather of Gore documentary • 32-page H.G. Lewis “annual” stuffed full with Lewis-themed activities plus archive promotional material • Fully-illustrated 92-page art book featuring the definitive overview of the entire career of H.G. Lewis written by Stephen Thrower [Shock and Gore edition exclusive] • 160-page paperback of the original Blood Feast novelization, written by Lewis [Shock and Gore edition exclusive] • 7” vinyl single featuring select tracks from the Blood Feast score [Shock and Gore edition exclusive] • 14 postcards featuring original artwork for all the films included [Shock and Gore edition exclusive] • Individually handmade “super gory” eyeball [Shock and Gore edition exclusive] • Shock and Gore commemorative barf bag [Shock and Gore edition exclusive] • Newly illustrated packaging and books by The Twins of Evil [Shock and Gore edition exclusive]
• Brand new introduction to the films by director Herschell Gordon Lewis • Audio Commentary on Blood Feast with Lewis and producer David F. Friedman • Audio Commentary on Scum of the Earth by Friedman • Blood Feast Outtakes • Blood Perceptions – filmmakers Nicholas McCarthy (The Pact) and Rodney Ascher (Room 237) offer their insight on Blood Feast and the importance of Herschell Gordon Lewis • Herschell’s History – archival interview in which Lewis discusses his entry into the film industry including Scum of the Earth • How Herschell Found His Nitch – Lewis discusses more of his early work in nudie cuties and the making of The Adventures of Lucky Pierre • Archival Interview with Herschell Gordon Lewis and David F. Friedman from 1987 • Carving Magic (1959) – vintage short featuring Blood Feast’s Bill Kerwin • Blood Feast Radio Spot and Trailer
• Brand new introduction to the films by director Herschell Gordon Lewis • Audio Commentary on Two Thousand Maniacs! with Lewis and producer David F. Friedman • Two Thousand Maniacs! Outtakes • Two Thousand Maniacs Can’t Be Wrong – Tim Sullivan (director, 2001 Maniacs) on Two Thousand Maniacs! • Hicksploitation: Confidential – visual essay on the history of the American South’s representation in cinema • David Friedman: The Gentlemen’s Smut Peddler – a tribute to the legendary producer featuring Herschell Gordon Lewis, filmmakers Fred Olen Ray, Tim Sullivan and Bob Murawski • Herschell’s Art of Advertising – Lewis shares his expert opinion on the art of selling movies and how to hook an audience. • Trailers for Two Thousands Maniacs! and Moonshine Mountain
• Brand new introduction to the films by director Herschell Gordon Lewis • Audio Commentary on Color Me Blood Red with Lewis and producer David F. Friedman • Audio Commentary on Something Weird with Lewis and Friedman • Color Me Blood Red Outtakes • The Art of Madness – visual essay on the recurring motif of mad artists as killers in horror cinema • Weirdsville– film Scholar Jeffrey Sconce on Something Weird • Lewis on Jimmy, the Boy Wonder, his 1966 children’s musical • A Hot Night at the Go Go Lounge! – Lewis’ 1966 dance short • Trailers for Color Me Blood Red and Something Weird
• Brand new introduction to the films by director Herschell Gordon Lewis • Audio Commentary on The Gruesome Twosome with Lewis • Audio Commentary on A Taste of Blood with Lewis • Peaches Christ Flips her Wig! – the San Francisco performer on The Gruesome Twosome • It Came From Florida – filmmaker Fred Olen Ray (Scalps) on Florida Filmmaking • Herschell vs The Censors – Lewis discusses some of the pitfalls involving local censorship and the lengths to which angry moviegoers tried to stop him • Trailers for The Gruesome Twosome and A Taste of Blood
• Brand new introduction to the films by director Herschell Gordon Lewis • Audio Commentary on She-Devils on Wheels with Lewis • Garage Punk Gore – filmmaker and musician Chris Alexander discusses the films and music of Herschell Gordon Lewis • The Shocking Truth! – Bob Murawski on his lifelong love for Herschell Gordon Lewis and what he has learned from Lewis’ films • Lewis on his 1968 film The Alley Tramp • She-Devils on Wheels Radio Spot • Trailers for She-Devils on Wheels and Just for the Hell of It
• Brand new introduction to the films by director Herschell Gordon Lewis • Audio Commentary on The Wizard of Gore with Lewis • Montag Speaks – a brand new interview with Wizard of Gore actor Ray Sager • The Gore The Merrier – an interview with Jeremy Kasten, director of the 2007 Wizard of Gore remake • The Incredibly Strange Film Show: Herschell Gordon Lewis “The Godfather of Gore” – episode of the Jonathan Ross-hosted documentary series focusing on Lewis’ films, featuring interviews with Lewis, producer David F. Friedman, actor Bill Kerwin, John Waters and more • The Wizard of Gore Trailer
• Brand new introduction to the films by director Herschell Gordon Lewis • Audio Commentary on The Gore Gore Girls with Herschell Gordon Lewis • Audio Commentary on This Stuff’ll Kill Ya! by camera operator and Lewis biographer Daniel Krogh • Regional Bloodshed– filmmakers Joe Swanberg and Spencer Parsons discuss the Midwestern roots and work ethic of Lewis’ output and how The Gore Gore Girls represents the shift into transgressive ’70s cinema that would dominate the American horror landscape • Herschell Spills His Guts – Lewis discusses his career post-The Gore Gore Girls, why he left the film industry and his role as a leading figure in the copywriting industry • Gore Gore Girls Radio Spot • Trailers for This Stuff’ll Kill Ya! and The Gore Gore Girls