Godzilla Vs. The Sea Monster/Fun Facts
From The Grindhouse Cinema Database
- This film was originally written to star King Kong.
- The original title for this film (with Kong as the star) was going to be "Operation Robinson Crusoe".
- This was the first film in the series to feature an underwater sequence since the original Gojira (1954).
- This was the final appearance for Mothra's twin priestesses in a "Showa" era film. They later would return in the "Heisei" series.
- Ebirah's name came from the Japanese word ebi, which means "shrimp," so technically, Ebirah is a shrimp.
- After destroying the Giant Condor (Dai-Kondoru), Godzilla rubs his nose. This is an homage to Yuzo Kayama's popular "Yuichi Tanuma" character (from Toho's popular Wakadaishô/Young Guy movies, starting with Daigaku no wakadaishô (1961)), who did the same thing.
- In Japanese, the Giant Condor's name is "Dai-Kondoru" (or alternatively, "Ôkondoru").
- This was the first of five films in the series to be directed by Jun Fukuda.
- This was the final appearance of the "adult" Mothra in a Showa era film. Her next appearance in her adult form would be in the Hessei era film Gojira vs. Mosura (1992).
- Noriko Takahashi originally started the role of Dayo, but bowed out at the last minute due to appendicitis.