Giallo Essentials: White Edition (BluRay)
From The Grindhouse Cinema Database
At the height of the Italian giallo boom of the early 1970s, scores of filmmakers turned their hand to crafting their own unique takes on these lurid murder-mysteries. This volume of Giallo Essentials presents three distinctly different but equally thrilling examples of genre, featuring some of European cult cinema’s most recognizable faces.
In The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave, director Emilio P. Miraglia (The Red Queen Kills Seven Times) melds the giallo’s trademark twisty whodunit storytelling with gothic chills, as troubled aristocrat Alan Cunningham (Anthony Steffen, Django the Bastard) is haunted by the specter of his dead wife Evelyn, and the gruesome and untimely deaths of several members of his family. Next, Riccardo Freda’s (Double Face) The Iguana with the Tongue of Fire finds tough ex-cop John Norton (Luigi Pistilli, A Bay of Blood) drafted in to catch the acid-throwing, razor-wielding maniac who’s terrorizing the streets of Dublin. Finally, Sergio Martino’s (Torso) The Suspicious Death of a Minor melds giallo trappings with elements of the then flourishing poliziotteschi crime thrillers, as undercover cop Paolo Germi (Claudio Cassinelli, What Have They Done to Your Daughters?) hunts a Milanese criminal outfit following the brutal murder of a teenage prostitute.
Brutal violence, globe-trotting intrigue and abundant sleaze collide in these three quintessential gialli, each one fully restored from its original camera negative and presented alongside an array of incisive bonus features.
- Label: Arrow Video
- Release date: February 13, 2023 (USA, Canada, UK)
- Buy now: From Amazon.co.uk
LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
- 2K restorations from the original camera negative for all three films
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentations of each film
- Original Italian and English front and end titles
- Original lossless mono Italian and English soundtracks
- Optional English subtitles for the Italian soundtracks
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtracks
- Rigid box packaging with original poster artwork in a windowed Giallo Essentials Collection slipcover
- Reversible sleeves for each film featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gilles Vranckx, Graham Humphreys and Chris Malbon
- DISC ONE: THE NIGHT EVELYN CAME OUT OF THE GRAVE: Audio commentary by Troy Howarth; Exclusive introduction by Erika Blanc; Interview with critic Stephen Thrower; The Night Erika Came Out of the Grave – exclusive interview with Erika Blanc; The Whip and the Body – archival interview with Erika Blanc; Still Rising from the Grave – archival interview with production designer Lorenzo Baraldi; Original Italian theatrical trailer
- DISC TWO: THE IGUANA WITH THE TONGUE OF FIRE: Audio commentary by giallo connoisseurs Adrian J. Smith and David Flint; Of Chameleons and Iguanas – video appreciation by the cultural critic and academic Richard Dyer; Considering Cipriani – appreciation of the composer Stelvio Cipriani and his score to The Iguana with the Tongue of Fire by DJ and soundtrack collector Lovely Jon; The Cutting Game – interview with the film’s assistant editor Bruno Micheli; The Red Queen of Hearts – career-spanning interview with the actress Dagmar Lassander; Original Italian and international theatrical trailers; Image gallery
- DISC THREE: SUSPECTED DEATH OF A MINOR: Audio commentary by Troy Howarth, author of So Deadly, So Perverse: 50 Years of Italian Giallo Films; Violent Milan – interview with director Sergio Martino; Original Italian theatrical trailer