George A. Romero: Between Night and Dawn (BluRay)
From The Grindhouse Cinema Database
George A. Romero’s name may be synonymous with the living dead subgenre, but his filmography is far richer and more varied than his reputation as “the zombie guy” would suggest. Following the breakout success of his debut feature Night of the Living Dead, the director would embark upon a series of projects which, whilst firmly rooted in the horror genre for the most part, demonstrate a master filmmaker with more than mere gut-munching on his mind.
In There’s Always Vanilla, Romero’s sophomore 1971 directorial effort, young drifter Chris and beautiful model Lynn embark upon a tumultuous relationship which seems doomed from the outset. 1972’s Season of the Witch (originally filmed as Jack’s Wife but released to theaters under the title of Hungry Wives) follows the exploits of Joan Mitchell – a housewife whose dissatisfaction with her humdrum life leads to an unhealthy interest in the occult. Lastly, 1973’s The Crazies, which sees Romero returning to more “straight” horror territory, has a small rural town finding itself in the grip of an infection which send its hosts into a violent, homicidal frenzy.
Taken together, these three early works, made in the period between Romero’s celebrated living dead outings Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead, serve to display the broader thematic concerns and auteurist leanings of a skilled craftsman too often pigeonholed within the genre.
- LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard DVD presentations • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing • Reversible sleeves for each film featuring original and newly-commissioned artwork by Gilles Vranckx • Limited Edition 60-page booklet featuring new writing on the films
- THERE’S ALWAYS VANILLA: Brand new 2K restoration from the original negative • Brand new audio commentary by Travis Crawford • Brand new interviews with actors Judith Ridley and Richard Ricci, producer Russ Streiner and sound recordist Gary Streiner • Digging Up the Dead – The Lost Films of George A. Romero – archive interview with Romero looking at his early films There’s Always Vanilla and Season of the Witch Trailer
- SEASON OF THE WITCH: Brand new 4K restoration from original film elements • Alternate extended cut • Brand new audio commentary by Travis Crawford • When Romero met Del Toro – celebrated filmmaker Guillermo Del Toro sits down with George Romero for this candid career-spanning conversation • The Secret Life of Jack's Wife – archive interview with actress Jan White • Alternate Opening Titles • Trailers
- THE CRAZIES: Brand new 4K restoration from original film elements • Brand new audio commentary by Travis Crawford • Romero Was Here – featurette revisiting the Crazies filming locations in Evans City, PA • Never Before Seen BTS footage • 2016 Q&A with Lynn Lowry from Abertoir Film Festival • Alternate Opening Titles • Trailers
- Region A + B
- Studio: Arrow Video
- Buy from: Amazon.com -Amazon.uk