From The Grindhouse Cinema Database
- Released in 1966
- Runtime: 92 min
- Distribution Co: American International Pictures
- Directed by William Asher
- Written by William Asher & Leo Townsend
- Music by Les Baxter
- Cinematography by Floyd Crosby
- Starring Frankie Avalon, Annette Funicello, Fabian, Julie Parrish, Harvey Lembeck, Chill Wills
- They'll take a curve...ANY curve.
- They live from a spinout to crack up...and they love as fast as they can get it.
- The guys who drive faster, love harder and swing harder than anyone else on earth!
Fireball 500 is a stock car racing film, blended with the beach party film genre. A vehicle for stars Frankie Avalon, Annette Funicello, and Fabian, it was one of a string of similar racing films from the 1960s. Written by William Asher and Leo Townsend, and directed by William Asher, it tells the story of Dave Owens (Avalon), a stock car racer forced to run moonshine. Stock car racer "Fireball" Dave Owens from California goes to race in Spartanburg, South Carolina, where he intends on competing against local champ Sonny Leander Fox. Dave beats Leander in a race, impressing the latter's girlfriend, Jane, and the wealthy Martha Brian. (Wikipedia)