David Carradine/Fun Facts
From The Grindhouse Cinema Database
- Son of John Carradine; half-brother of Keith Carradine, Robert Carradine and Michael Bowen, brother of Bruce Carradine.
- Lived with Barbara Hershey from 1972-75 (she changed her last name to Seagull to during this time). They have a son they named Free Carradine at birth, but who has since changed his name to Tom Carradine.
- Convicted of drunk driving in October 1989. Served 48 hours in jail and did community service.
- Has a lifelong fascination with Eastern philosphies and culture which resulted in him writing the book "Spirit Of The Shaolin" about the philosophy of Kung Fu.
- Uncle of actresses Martha Plimpton and Ever Carradine.
- Daughter: Calista Carradine (b. 1962).
- Daughter: Kansas Carradine (b. 1978).
- Began studying the Martial Arts after getting cast in "Kung Fu" (1972).
- Studied drama at San Francisco State University.
- Was suppose to attended the Armaggeddon Pulp Culture Expo Convention in Wellington, New Zealand, in September 2004 as a special Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (2003) guest but had to pull out at the last minute due to filming commitments.
- To date, he is the only actor who has appeared in films directed by Martin Scorsese, Ingmar Bergman and Quentin Tarantino.
- Because of his look, his stint on the TV series "Kung Fu" (1972) and his fascination with Eastern philosophies, people often assume that he is at least part Asian. He isn't.
- A great deal of his characters posses lethal martial arts skills. This is a nod to his most famous character, the deadly yet benevolent Kwai Chang Caine in the TV series "Kung Fu" (1972).
- Has been a close friend of Larry Cohen since they served together in the military.
- Was married to his present wife at the home of Michael Madsen by Vicki Roberts who officiated and pronounced them husband and wife.
- He was born in Hollywood, but he was brought up all over the country, mostly by boarding school teachers and reform school wardens