From The Grindhouse Cinema Database
Roger Corman (born April 5, 1926, Detroit, Michigan) known as "the King of the B-Movies" is a prolific American producer and director of low-budget movies. Corman has apprenticed many now-famous directors such as Francis Ford Coppola, Martin Scorsese, Ron Howard, James Cameron, Jonathan Demme and Joe Dante. Actors who have worked for Corman include: Jack Nicholson, Peter Fonda, Bruce Dern, Michael McDonald, Dennis Hopper, Talia Shire, Robert De Niro and David Carradine. Corman's concepts on budgeting and resourcefulness when making films has been very influential on many filmmakers over the years.
In 2009, Roger received an honorary Academy Award for his work in film. Fittingly, Writer-Director Quentin Tarantino paid tribute to Roger with his speech at the awards ceremony. He clearly stated that Roger Corman inspired and influenced many filmmakers and helped keep audiences coming to theaters with his imaginative and entertaining genre pictures throughout the 1950s-70s.
The Corman Film School
A number of important and influential filmmakers and actors had their first big break with Roger Corman. The following list is limited to Oscar winners.
- Francis Ford Coppola — directed Corman's Dementia 13. Oscar winner for The Godfather Part II
- James Cameron — Production assistant on Rock 'n' Roll High School. Oscar winner for Titanic, also made Aliens, The Terminator, Terminator 2, True Lies, and The Abyss — most of which, perhaps ironically, had massive budgets.
- Jonathan Demme — wrote and directed Corman's Caged Heat (aka Renegade Girls). Oscar winner for The Silence of the Lambs
- Ron Howard — acted in Corman's 1976 film "Eat My Dust", directed Corman's Grand Theft Auto. Oscar winner for A Beautiful Mind
- Martin Scorsese — directed Corman's Boxcar Bertha. Oscar winner for The Departed
- Peter Bogdanovich (PA on The Wild Angels, director of Targets), The Last Picture Show, Paper Moon.
- Joe Dante: Editor, Director of Hollywood Boulevard, Piranha, The Howling.
- Jack Hill: Director of Pit Stop, The Big Doll House, Coffy, Switchblade Sisters.
- Jonathan Kaplan: Director of Truck Turner, White Line Fever.
- John Sayles (Writer of The Howling, Alligator). Director of Eight Men Out.
Pages in category "Roger Corman"
The following 59 pages are in this category, out of 59 total.