From The Grindhouse Cinema Database
- Released in 1981 | Color
- Running Time: 96 min
- Production Co: Bakshi Productions | Aspen Productions | Columbia Pictures Corporation | Polyc International BV
- Distribution Co: Columbia Pictures (1981) (USA) (theatrical)
- Directed by Ralph Bakski
- Written by Ronni Kern
- Starring Ron Thompson, Mews Small, Jerry Holland, Lisa Jane Persky, Jeffrey Lippa, Roz Kelly, Frank DeKova
- Produced by Maggie Abbott, Ralph Bakshi, Lynne Betner, Martin Ransohoff, Richard R. St. Johns
- Music by Lee Holdridge
- Film Editing by David Ramirez
- All those years, all those dreams, all those sons... one of them is going to be a star.
- The state of the art in living animation.
American Pop is a 1981 American animated musical drama film starring Ron Thompson and produced and directed by Ralph Bakshi. It was the fourth animated feature film to be presented in Dolby sound. The film tells the story of four generations of a Russian Jewish immigrant family of musicians whose careers parallel the history of American popular music. The majority of the film's animation was completed through rotoscoping, a process in which live actors are filmed and the subsequent footage is used for animators to draw over. However, the film also uses a variety of other mixed media including water colors, computer graphics, live-action shots, and archival footage. (Wikipedia)